It is now safe to remove risks such as bumps and entrapment from your baby’s sleep environment, increasing the likelihood of a restful sleep for everyone, with Airoya® cot bumpers.
The Airoya® bumper is made with a unique 3D mesh fabric which provides cushioning without restricting air flow, making it fully breathable. Our safe alternative to traditional polyester fabrics is soft to the touch and robust enough to keep restless babies safely inside their cot while minimising the risk of limbs getting trapped between bars.
Soft but sturdy hook-and-loop fasteners make installation extremely simple while eliminating entanglement and climbing risks.
Every safety concern that was previously thought to make cot bumpers dangerous has been vigilantly removed, with care taken that no new risks are introduced.
Designed in the United Kingdom, Airoya® cot bed liners offer the same sleek and modern look that less protective solutions have adopted, and it's available as a mint green, white, blue or pink cot bumper set. It is suitable for standard cot sizes, such as 60 x 120 and 70 x 140 models, as well as custom cots of similar sizes.
Read our story to learn how we improved our own lives by inventing this bumper, read more about the benefits of these safe cot bumpers, or order one now to give your baby extra protection within days.
Protect Your Baby
Without Adding Risks
- BS EN 16780:2018 : EU New safety requirement for children's cot bumper
- EN 71-3:2019 +A1:2021 : The fabric, printing, lining , stitching, labels and Velcro we use tested for the absence of harmful elements.
- BS1877-10-2011+A1:2012: Our bumper meets this British standard defining specifications for mattresses and bumpers for children’s cots (now superseded by BS EN 16780).
- BS4578: Being about 30 times more breathable than the requirement, our bumper easily met this British standard for the hardness and permeability of baby’s bedding.
Shop for Airoya® on Amazon
2-Sided Air Mesh Bumper for Cot and Cotbed with Solid Ends
4-Sided Airmesh Bumper for Full Slated Cot and Cotbed
I like that it's so easy to attach to my cot
I have always been hesitant to use crib bumpers considering it’s a SIDS no no... But this one I have complete faith in - it really is fully breathable.
Yes, I tested it on myself, I'm that mother.
The Velcro attachments hold strong, despite my son hanging off these bumpers time to time.
I also like that it's super easy to attach to my crib.
This is honestly a fantastic product and I'd recommend it to anyone.
I am very aware of the controversy surrounding cot bumpers and have my child's health and wellbeing at the forefront of my mind when purchasing products to suit her needs. As it was, she was head butting the sides of the cot every night! I had to do something and was very happy to have come across this product. It's not pink, fluffy and cute looking but it is very easily fitted to the sides of a cot, safely avoids chances of suffocation and reduces the impact of your child's head banging off the sides. All in all, an excellent product, well worth the money.
A great Product
I am a foster carer of over 17 years. Mainly for new born & under 3 yrs. Health & safety are an absolute priority & the local authority is tough on this. I have used the original tie on bumpers but these were deemed potentially unsafe in recent years.
I am delighted to have found a good quality, well-padded safer alternative.
I had purchased the air mesh about 3 years ago but was disappointed that it was so thin & offered very little protection from bumps.
This one is far better.
What a fab product!
No more tiny arms and legs poking through the cot bars and waking up my little one.
The Velcro fastenings keep the liners firmly in place, and they don't sag...AT ALL.
I liked that the liners didn't have tie fastenings to entice curious little fingers.
They wash amazingly well.
They're breathable, light, are of very high quality, and attach simply and quickly to the cot.
Although they are a lot plainer than other cot liners, i liked the simple trim design, as it works well with my nursery.
I also preferred the idea of having a sturdy, reliable product over design.
Thank you so much!
Excellent Bumper well worth the Money!
After spending quite a while searching for breathable cot bumpers I came upon these. Not only are they breathable (I tested them myself) but they do offer some padding (my little one does like to roll about a lot). The other massive plus for me is that the bumpers fix to the upright bars as opposed to the top bar. Meaning that when we lowered the cot (3 adjustable heights) the bumper could be adjusted with it. A lot of other bumpers only tie from the top, so when you lower the cot they are no use at all. I would highly recommend these bumpers. One happy mummy, daddy and baby!
Good Night’s sleep
This product is excellent.
Our baby would try and climb his way around the cot using the side bars before we added this product. He would also bang his head on the bars at night when moving around in his sleep.
We were worried initially about putting bumpers in the cot bed as our baby has a tendency to sleep facing the bars. That's why we shopped around and finally bought this as it's actually breathable. He now likes to sleep with his head against the bumpers but we know he won't suffocate so we can sleep and not keep getting up to check on him as often.
The bumpers fit our cot bed from ‘Mothercare’ really well. They fit securely with the velcro fastenings and on our cot bed there are two places on each end of the bumpers were the velcro makes contact so they stay attached really well. The blue trim on the bumpers is a nice touch as it goes well with our baby’s nursery decoration.
Our first baby was nearly 5 months old when and she outgrew her Moses basket, but when we moved her into a cot bed she kept sticking her little arms out through the bars while we were trying to settle her to sleep and would often get them stuck, it seemed to be her pre-sleep routine, and then, of course, the even more worrying head bumping started.
My husband is a neuroscientist, he knows the importance of sleep in the development of children’s brains but, with our young daughter waking up bumping her head, we felt that none of us were getting enough of it. Of course, our baby was our primary concern but we also worried that our own well-being, home and relationship were under stress too, we needed a solution.
Cot bumpers were at the forefront of our minds, but traditional bumpers added the serious risks of suffocation and entanglement in the ties. Thin breathable liners didn't provide real bump protection. We needed bumpers that were both breathable and protecting, we tried solutions from numerous brands but didn’t find anything that offered the features and quality that we needed for our baby. Being a qualified nurse I had seen a lot of bed safety solutions, and with my husband - a neuroscientist - being well-practised in finding innovative solutions with the latest technology, we realised we should be able find a better solution ourselves.
We knew that we were onto something when we discovered a unique fabric that came in the form of a 3D air mesh, it provided multidirectional air flow such that the fabric could have a significant thickness and still be fully breathable, even when pressed right up against the nose and mouth.
When it comes to breathing through a fabric there is more to consider than whether the lungs are getting enough oxygen, it is also very important to ensure that the gases we exhale, such as carbon dioxide, are clearing the lungs properly too, not getting retained near the nose or mouth in the fabric. And of course, a baby product has to meet many other standards too, it has to be smooth to the touch, it shouldn’t have any loose pieces, it shouldn’t come undone easily, it must retain its quality with continuous use, we were meticulous in our requirements, extensive in our health and safety research and thorough in our testing, and eventually we were happy that we had a product that was suitable for our greatest treasure.
We made a bumper that:
- Reduces the impact of baby’s head bumping on the cot
- Is fully breathable, remove the risk of CO2 re-breathing
- Has soft, secure and baby tamper-proof fixings that are easy to fit
Finally, having reached a standard that we absolutely knew we could trust, we all had much more restful nights.
We became much happier parents, this bumper wasn’t only protecting our baby’s head, our heads were feeling better after a more fulfilling sleep too!
Having improved our own lives, we made a bumper for our friends to use, they were very impressed and said, "I'M SLEEPING BETTER WITH THE PEACE OF MIND THAT MY BABY IS IN A SAFER ENVIRONMENT".
Wanting every baby to be as safe as ours, we arranged their production and set up this web site and an Amazon store, we’re confident every parent will be pleased with this cot bumper, and the reviews we’ve been receiving confirm that other parents are equally satisfied by the quality.
We won’t leave you with just our word, buy it now and you'll find our confidence backed by a 90-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE.
Love it, or your money back!
Get in Touch
Also, follow us on Facebook for our latest news and offers.
2005 - 2007 European Injury Studies
- According to the European Injury Database, between 2005 and 2007, more than 17,000 accidents in the EU involving children from 0-4 years happened in cots.
- Overheating in infants has been shown be a contributory factor to SIDS.
- A study by Washington University School of Medicine in 2015 and published in the Journal of Pediatrics found that 48 infant deaths from 1985-2012 were specifically attributed to cot bumpers. An additional 146 infants were involved in cot bumper incidents in which the babies nearly suffocated, choked or were strangled.
- In 2013 in the U.S. cot bumpers were banned in Chicago and Maryland and Ohio banned the use in 2017. As recently as May 2018 recalls in the U.S. took place for cot bumpers considered to have safety hazards (long ties). Similar EU safety related recalls on nursery textiles have taken place over the last 3-5 years.
2007 - 2008 Identified the Main Risks Associated with nursery products
During 2007-2008, the European Commission carried out a study, following consultations with Member States, which identified the most high-risk nursery products for which there are either no safety standards or for which the existing standard does not cover all the risks.
The main risks associated with these products are as follows:
- Cot mattresses. The main risks are entrapment and flammability. For example, entrapment of the of the baby due to design problems, e.g., inappropriate size – the mattress is too small and leaves gaps where the child can get trapped or suffocate. Also risks due to failure to meet flammability requirements.
- Sleep bags for babies and cot bumpers. Main risks are linked to strangulation, suffocation and choking, due to cords, loops, detachable parts or filling materials coming loose.
- Children's duvets. Main risks linked to suffocation and hyperthermia. Without suitable safety information, these might contribute to the incidence of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) because of overheating and asphyxia.
- Suspended baby beds. Main risks are suffocation, entrapment and injury, due to bad design – instability or lack of structural integrity (for suspended beds).
In year 2018, CEN (the European standards body) published several standards which relate to children’s sleep environment. These standards have been developed in response European Commission mandate M/497 Standardisation mandate on the safety of child-care articles.
The new published standards includes:
- BS EN 16781: Textile child care articles. Safety requirements and test methods for children's sleep bags.
- BS EN 16779-1. Textile child care articles. Safety requirements and test methods for children's cot duvets. Part 1. Duvet (excluding duvet covers) Cot Duvet covers (Part 2 for duvet covers is in development)
- BS EN 16780. Textile child care articles. Safety requirements and test methods for children's cot bumpers
- BS EN 16890: 2017 Children's furniture. Mattresses for cots and cribs. Safety requirements and test methods
Airoya's cot bumper removed all the potential hazards including the commonly used long ribbon ties and detachable parts and filling materials that easy to come loose. Our bumpers has been tested and proud for being one of the first that complaint with the new safety standard BS EN 16780.